Since launching on April 15th, RDO has garnered a lot of attention – both in press and in blogs and podcasts. Here’s a review of what’s been happening in the RDO world.
Podcast: RDO at the OpenStack Summit
In Portland during the OpenStack Summit Dave Neary sat down with Richard Morrell of Red hat to record a podcast, covering questions like "what is RDO?", "who is it for?" "why are Red Hat releasing a community distribution of OpenStack?"
Hear the answers to these questions and more at the Cloud Evangelist website
OpenStack Summit review
Jason Brooks from the RDO team wrote up his experiences from the OpenStack Summit and the RDO launch.
What impressed me more than the growth of the project, however, was the way that OpenStack embodies one of things I love most about open source, namely, its knack for helping people to peel back or eliminate barriers to innovation. The more freedom we afford ourselves to experiment with and improve the systems we care about, the more amazing results we can achieve.
Read more over at the Red Hat community blog.
RDO launch news – quick links
We got a lot of attention during the launch. Here is a selection of some of the things which were written about us.
[PackStack] is interesting. OpenStack is a complex suite of tools, and the installation process is non-trivial. Any work to streamline that will reduce at least one barrier to success.
- readwrite.com: Will Red Hat’s OpenStack Contributions Turn To Gold?
It’s happening again. Red Hat, which for years has dominated both the development and monetization of Linux, has turned its code contributing hand to OpenStack, the popular open-source cloud computing project. While Red Hat initially fought OpenStack, today it has become OpenStack’s biggest contributor.
- GigaOM: Why OpenStack is like kale – it’s cheap, easy to source and good for you
- V3: Red Hat: OpenStack is the only way to avoid cloud lock-in
- Application Development Trends: Red Hat Launches OpenStack Distro, Partner Network
- PCWorld: Red Hat releases community OpenStack distribution
- Computer Weekly: Red Hat opens RDO OpenStack community
- ServerWatch: Red Hat Launches Open Source OpenStack RDO
News from around the world
OpenStack has a worldwide community, and the RDO release got worldwide attention. Here are some articles in various languages from around the world.
- Chinese: Red Hat releases open source RDO
- Japanese: Install instructions in Japanese
- Japanese: TechCrunch: Red Hat announces RDO and OpenStack partner program
- French: Le Mag IT: [Red Hat prÃ©sente RDO une version communautaire de sa distribution OpenStack]http://www.lemagit.fr/economie/business/2013/04/18/red-hat-presente-rdo-une-version-communautaire-de-sa-distribution-openstack/
- French: Le Monde Informatique: Red Hat publie une distribution communautaire d’OpenStack
- Italian: Tom’s Hardware: Red Hat OpenStack: cresce la community
- Spanish: Silicon Week: Red Hat anuncia RDO, su propia distribuciÃ³n de OpenStack soportada por la comunidad
Let us know in the comments if you spot other articles about RDO!